Monday, May 21, 2012

An effective classroom is like a well oiled machine

An effective classroom is like a well oiled machine. Every procedure and process runs smoothly and efficiently, from passing out papers to checking HW. Figuring out the routines and planning them (and practicing them with the students) is what makes teachers more effective. When it becomes second nature for the class to do the "usual stuff," the teacher can dedicate their energy to doing the important stuff.

I've started compiling a list of routines and procedures - some I have, some I need to develop, some I need to optimize.

1. Procedure for handing out worksheets. (now that I had rows, I can hand out 6 papers to the "row leader" and they take one and pass it down)

2. Collecting papers (pass to the left, then the last column passes all the piles to the front). This could be streamlined a bit. #1: Having a responsible student sit in the back, pass all the papers to them, and that person is responsible for placing the papers in my mailboxes in the back of the classroom. #2: I also need to make sure there's no way for students' work to get lost along the way or copied.

3. Entry Procedure - I've vacillated between entry slips/quizzes, Do Nows (in the notebooks), and I think the kids don't always know what to expect. Next year, I'll train them early that it will always be one of those three.

4. Notebook set up: my kids' notebooks ROCK. This is one area that I've excelled this year. They know how to set up the table of contents, they know the summaries, Cornell Cues, indexing their vocab words, etc.

5. A routine for bathroom and water visits: I taught my kids some sign language at the start of the year, and they know to ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water by signing. We have school-wide policies about bathroom & drinks: kids are only allowed 3 visits per week during classes for ALL subjects, must sign in and out of class, and only 2 kids per class can leave.

6. Start & End of class: several of my classes STILL don't come in quietly and get right to work... Next year, I think I need to practice that more at the beginning of the year, so they do it consistently all year long. I also didn't emphasize that I dismiss the class, not the bell, so unless I say "freeze" to my kids, they start trying to pack up when the bell rings if I haven't already dismissed them.

7. Passes - I need to have a form pass that I can just fill out to give the kids - both for being late (from my class, or if I pull them aside in the hallway) and for lunch tutoring/detention.

8. Gum chewing policy - I've been so lax about it this year, and the undersides of my tables/chairs show it! I just haven't wanted to fight that battle all year long...

9. Absence policy: I have definitely had a hard time keeping track of students who've been late/absent from class and missed work. I've basically said, "it's up to you to find me and see what you missed." The good students do so; the weak students don't - and then risk failure. I need a better method that sets up the absent students to be more likely to check in with me.

10. Class jobs. I know I can delegate some of the responsibility for taking care of the classroom to the kids - and it will help us all! But I cannot figure out what the right jobs are or what those students do... Maybe next year, we'll work on a brainstorming session in homeroom about the jobs that are necessary to make the class run efficiently and smoothly.

11. Talking procedures & routines - how we talk as a whole group, how we talk in small groups, how we talk in partnerships... I didn't really get a chance to teach the students how to do this this year - they kind of got thrown into it. And I would say that it shows - some of my classes are much more effective than others at this skill.

12. Lining up vs. entering immediately upon class starting. I've wavered with my students about whether I want them to enter immediately and get started when they arrive or whether I want them to make two silent lines outside of my classroom when they arrive. There are benefits to both, and I think ultimately, I'm going to continue to make it a case-by-case basis.

13. Tardiness enforcement - I have  not penalized kids for being late to my class yet - and I should... But I haven't figured out how yet or what would be appropriate.

14. A signal for their attention. I've used the count-down, "In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0" and then shortening it to "3, 2, 1, and 0." It worked effectively in the beginning of the year, where I then told them to "let me see your best slant." (Sit up straight, Lean forward, ask and answer questions, nod/note key points, and track the speaker) It works less effectively now, because I'm only doing the countdown. I also think I want to do something similar to SLANT, but call it "Star" (sit like a STAR - sit up, track the speaker, ask and answer questions, respect the class). I also heard from a colleague that he says something like, "800, eyes up." and if he has to say it 3 times, they know they've got detention. I know another teacher who uses a singing bowl to get the kids' attention.

15. A minor meditation/relaxing technique before each exam. I heard from a colleague of mine that they do this with their students, and I know how anxious the kids get before a test. I think it would be good to do a visualization and/or meditation/relaxation technique to help prevent test anxiety.

16. How to label their papers. I changed the heading format in the middle of the year, because I saw that the rest of the math department had a more efficient one. I do like my system of "A#s" though - the students get a number based on their place in the alphabetical order of their class, so I can alphabetize without thinking.

17. What do I do now? I need better procedures and routines for what the students should do when they finish the assignments. I have a lending library, I tell the kids to work on their notebooks, but I don't have any clear activities defined for them - and I should.

18. Get the students into a routine habit of copying down their homework from the board at the start of class (which requires me to be more sure about which assignment I'm going to give at the start of class!).

19. Folders and organization of their work. I want to manage all of the papers I give the students much better next year. To that end, I think a folder with one of those three-ring clips might help organize some of the reference materials for them, I think that having a glue stick or tape will help with being able to affix handouts directly to their notebook during class when I instruct them to. I also think that I need to get better about handing out their homework sooner, so that they can put it away before they're out the door leaving.

20. Self-assessment: how do students learn to assess where they are and ask for additional support or additional challenge?

21. What to do for kids who forget their materials: pencils, paper, rulers, etc. I have had too many lost, broken, and stolen materials. I need a pencil sherrif or something!

Any other routines, procedures, or policies that help make your class smooth? Or that you think are needed to make your class run more smoothly?

No comments:

Post a Comment